Friday, November 12, 2010

Musical Influences

Ok. Guys. You really need to know who April Smith is. Remember how I said I was going to her concert? She's amazing! She sounds like she does on the cd-none of that autotune shit. Example, I love Katy Perry and her music, but she CANNOT sing live. Holy cow. SNL anyone?



But I still love her because her lyric style is very similar to mine, so she's been very influential to me. And I mean, I have to give her props. At least she DOES sing live. Too many just lip sync anymore.

Let's see. Other influences of mine would be Lily Allen and Kate Nash who also have that same kind of sassy, tongue-in-cheek style. But I've always looked up to Christina Aguilera. Her best songs aren't her singles, but the ones near the end of her cd where she just lets go. My favorites are "Keep on Singin' My Song" from Stripped and "Mercy on Me" and "Save Me From Myself" from Back to Basics.







I mean, let's be honest here. No one can out sing Christina. If I wrote one song in "Keep on Singin' My Song" or "Mercy on Me" style, I'd be happy.

Idina Menzel is another woman I look too a lot as well. Her own music is stunning, and real songs. They're funny and emotional and everything real. She wrote for herself, not what others would want, which is nice to get as a listener.



Obviously I've been influenced a lot by showtunes, but I don't usually bring that into the music I write. It's easy to separate them out, even while performing. I don't "act" when I sing outside of a theatrical setting. I mean, it's a different persona than who I am somewhat. Basically, it's me magnified and more stagey. If that makes any sense at all.

So rounding back to April Smith. I have added her as one of my influences. She's remarkable, and also has that same sassy, somewhat snarky attitude I put into my songs. "Stop Wondering" is what started this love affair. So watch and fall in love.



Absolutely amazing, right? Now go to iTunes and buy buy buy!

I hope you enjoyed all those videos :) Happy you have now expanded your musical tastes? Good.

Peace,
Bree

1 comment:

  1. Interesting choices! And yes, I saw some new stuff. Still not a *huge* fan of Ms. Aguilera, but I will give you that she does have a very distinct style. :)

    ReplyDelete