Thursday, September 20, 2012

What Happened?

It's been a crazy long time since I've blogged but it has been such a crazy month and I have a ton to say.
I'll try to explain what happened first and foremost. So I spent the summer living in Brooklyn with Evy and working at the school and the Public. I would get headaches but then they got worse and I thought I was having migraines. I also had awful neck pain which I attributed to sitting on the steps of the Delacorte and having to crane my neck up. However, no aspirin, ibuprofen or any other pain reliever helped. I went to urgent care and they prescribed migraine med and flexeral for my neck. That didn't help so the next day I went to the ER. Whatever they gave me made me feel great and while I waited for my prescription, I went shopping at Lush and Old Navy. The next morning I woke up feeling awful again but I just rested. The next day, Monday, I was a lot worse and my vision was getting wavy so I needed to go to the ER. I knew I wouldn't make it by myself so Jamila came to Bushwick (leaving work) to get me. We were gonna take the train but I could barely walk. I sat down on the platform because I didn't have the strength to stand. So Jamila called a car. The ER was full but they finally got me in when I laid on the floor bc I couldn't stand anymore. I spent 12 hours there that day with Jami, David, Jules and Evan taking shifts with me. I love them all so much. Then the hospital sent me home for the night so I could go to the Eye and Ear Infirmary the next morning. I really shouldn't have left. Tuesday I was worse. And Evan was wheeling me (literally at times with a wheel chair) around everywhere bc my insurance had ended on Sunday. Cherry on top, ya know? We waited forever for an MRI until they decided I needed to be back in the ER. The ER was full again and I laid on the floor for, I think, was a couple hours. I don't remember much except for David snapping at everyone who said I couldn't lay there. I remember finally being put on a bed in the hall in the ER, lots of drugs, Jamila feeding me mashed potatoes, maybe being fed orange jello, being upset there was no pudding and Jules reading me that really scary story (thanks Jules!). Finally it was time for the MRI and they took all my piercings out :( all I remember next is them telling me I had blood clots in my sinuses in my brain and I told them to call my mom. I had to wait forever for a room but I finally got in and then slept a lot while they switched between giving me dillauded(sp?) and morphine. I remember Sasha coming and spent the night, Jer visited, as did Caelina and finally Mama came. Everyone was really good about filling me in on everyone's love and support from Facebook and beyond. Trust me all of you were so helpful in getting me through all of it. It helped me stay positive. So back to the hospital. My vision was getting worse and they were doing test after test. I spent a week at Beth-Israel until they knew they couldn't help me with my vision so they transferred me to Roosevelt. There, they brought in experts who planned my operations. I can't/don't want to go into too much details on those, but for one they used some kind of scope put in through my pelvis to check the severity of the blood clots that had formed in my head and neck and shoulders. I heard it was pretty ugly. Then to reduce swelling in my optic nerves (what caused the blindness I guess) they had this world famous doctor make a little clip in the sheath of the optic in the right eye. Then once enough swelling had gone down and the blood clots had reduced a bit they were able to put the shunt in. Before they didn't have enough room. Even some pediatric neurosurgeon said she couldn't do it. Dudes. I know this shit be crazy. They thought stoop. They said they had never seen anything quite like it before. Similar but not quite like this. Needs to be on Grey's or something right? The shunt is in there forever so now I'm like some bad ass lil freak. That's cool I guess. You'll only know its there if you touch my head and feel it. My hair was somewhat shaved but the way it parts covers it up. I spent 3 weeks total in the hospital, getting out on mama's bday. I couldn't be there anymore. Emotionally, I couldn't handle it, and I wasn't sleeping, even with a concoction of dillauded, ambien and Xanax. Yeah. Crazy friggin sleep when I did get some. Physical therapy wanted to keep me for another week but I just couldn't. Hello. I'd just be out yesterday and that would have been 4 weeks in a hospital. A month. Yeah. I'm sure physically I'd be almost good as new but emotionally, not so much. I'm working on the physical part with my mom, but I'm still fairly weak. Getting better though. I took a short all by myself this morning and I wasn't completely exhausted afterwards! I walk down the block and work on stairs when I go up to bed. It's crazy how weak your body becomes laying in bed for 3 weeks. I feel so old. I have a lot of insight bc I had a lot of time to think and reflect, but I'll share those in another post sometime. I'll also share some great dreams I had and some hallucinations because they need to be shared. There's some crazy stories, man. But for now at least you get a fairly good story about what went down. At least, I think.

No comments:

Post a Comment